Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Casualties of Exercise

Murphy and I are working out our differences regarding who should be running the household. It looks like I am the favored one, today. Part of keeping my rank hinges on practicing what we learned in obedience training and going for walks every day. Sunday's walk was an adventure.

Each day's walk follows a similar variety of paths. We might go the opposite direction or change it up by walking down one street or another. One thing I noticed is, that there is one street where this dog is always trying to get through the gate to attack my dog. He never makes it through so I figured it's ok to walk down that street. Sunday, apparently the dog was in the garage. The one with the door opened wide enough for an unleashed dog to run out into the street. Right towards my dog who happened to be on a leash. He started getting viscious with my leashed dog. The owner saw it happening and did nothing to capture his dog. I was getting so frustrated and pissed. Trying to pull my dog away and this dog would not leave!

I didn't know I had it in me, but I knew I had to do something to protect my dog. I channelled my inner-momma-bear and I growled at that dog and yelled at that dog. And he listened! He actually ran away! When I think about how he could have attacked me instead, I realize, it was maybe not the smartest thing to do, but I had to do something. And still, the owner did not come out an apologize. The neighbor came out and said that was the 3rd time that week that this dog had been loose and he was going to contact the city. My adrenaline was pumping so hard the rest of the way home.

2 Comments:

Blogger Chengdus & Don'ts said...

Great to see your new blog! I am so sorry about Murphy making your life difficult! I really, really miss him even when he was a challenging dog. I hope that things are getting better with him. I can tell you really love him! Thanks for giving him a great home!

4:07 AM  
Blogger Luscious Gracious said...

I love your new blog!!!!
Really, I am not just saying that. Really, I swear. I like the title, and the way that it is all black and white (very funny!). Mel, there is nothing wrong with loving your pets. I may just be jealous because I am only allowed to have crustaceans at my house, and I am not even sure that I can spell that word! Oy, what a story this time! How can people be so stupid? His dog is in danger, too. Things like other animals, moving vehicles, and angry humans make for unsafe conditions for unleashed pets. It's not as if you had any hands free, but if you did, may I suggest pepper spray? For the man, I mean. Take care, and good luck with M.
Kiki

2:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home